Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Eat Food, Not Nutrients

Share on Facebook

By Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom

We’re all in a state of what I call “nutrient overload.” We’re always reading about a food of the week linked to reducing disease risk for illnesses ranging from diabetes and heart disease to stroke and cancer.

Despite the promotion of individual nutrients as important nutritional keys to healthy eating, most studies continue to support the consumption of a healthy diet, which includes a variety of foods as nature intended. Lean proteins (both plant and animal sources, including dairy), an abundance of colorful fruits and vegetables, fiber-rich starches, and water for hydration are the basics of a healthy diet. And these same foods, studies show, promote health benefits for all body systems, including digestive, brain, cardiac, and immune systems. 

I am always concerned when people explain their eating habits to me based on individual nutrients.  “I eat oranges for vitamin C, and I’m looking for a food with vitamin A – so I added some carrots. Now I’m looking for more vitamin B6.” Real food contains overlapping nutrients and serves double or triple duty.

My best advice for healthy eating is to enjoy a variety of foods. And if you take special medications or have a chronic illness (or are at high risk for one), you might require a vitamin or mineral supplement to meet your personal needs; food might not be enough to support this. Check with your doctor to make sure your overall nutrient needs are met. 

No comments:

Post a Comment