By Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom
If you’re planning an outdoor picnic for the fourth of July, I’d like to share a few facts and offer ideas that might inspire you to make some healthy changes or additions to your holiday menu.
Check out these surprising food facts . . . did you know that:
- Two wine coolers have 16 teaspoons of sugar? Stick with plain wine and add some seltzer for a homemade “spritzer.”
- A half cup of salsa has less than 50 calories? It’s the perfect low-calorie choice for dipping your favorite veggies or chips.
- A large ear of corn-on-the-cob is rich in fiber and just 100 calories? Corn is at its peak in the summer, but don’t slather it in butter. Use just a dab, or try some low-calorie butter spray.
- Replacing super-premium ice cream with frozen yogurt cuts the fat in a one cup serving from 24 grams to 4 grams.
- Nothing beats a cold, crisp wedge of watermelon – less than 100 calories and great for hydration.
Let me know some of your own holiday favorites!